Mississauga - Streetsville HistoryIn 1818, the last remaining tract of 648,000 acres of land along the banks of the Credit River was ceded to the British Government by the Mississauga natives. Timothy Street the surveyor received a grant of land as compensation for his work. Street quickly began to appreciate the immense potential for settlement along the Credit River, and made plans to erect both a saw and grist mill once his work was finished.
House in Meadowvale, Mississauga
In April 1819, the surveyed land was opened for settlement. Many mills were built, powered by the fast flowing Credit river. A large quarry of red clay was found encouraging the use of brick for construction.
In 1821, Streetsville's first general store, now known as Montreal House, was built, and still stands. Another landmark, Timothy Street's house, was built in 1825 and is one of the oldest brick houses in Peel Region.
In 1858, Streetsville was incorporated as a village. Timothy Street's son, John, was the first reeve.
For a century, Streetsville existed as a long narrow village with all of it stores and churches on a strip of land between the Credit River and the railway track.
In January 1962, incorporated as a town, and in 1968, the creation of the Town of Mississauga amalgamated Cooksville, Dixie, Erindale and Malton, in to Mississauga. Streetsville, Clarkson, Port Credit and Meadowvale were excluded from this amalgamation
In 1974 all of these communities were annexed when Mississauga became a city. Four years later, Hazel McCallion, who had been the last mayor of Streetsville (1970 - 1973), became the third mayor of Mississauga. As of August 2010, she still occupies that office,
Mississauga Streetsville Real Estate
Clarkson | Cooksville | Lorne Park | Meadowvale | Meadowvale Village | Port Credit | Streetsville