Mississauga - Port Credit HistoryLocated at the mouth of the Credit River on the north shore of Lake Ontario, 20 minutes west of Toronto, started as a bustling shipping centre in 1834 with harbour improvements paid for by the government. This reputation was bolstered by the arrival in 1855 of a branch of the Great Western Railway.
The Port Credit Harbour once a working fishing port and a regional trading centre for grain and other agricultural products. A lighthouse was built in 1882 to serve the sailors on Lake Ontario. It served until 1918 and remained standing until destroyed by fire in 1936.
Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe had ordered construction of the Government Inn (1798–1861) to serve as a way station for travellers by land and lake, and it was leased to a succession of residents until its destruction by fire.
Port Credit did not amalgamate with its neighbouring settlements in southern Peel County when the Town of Mississauga was created from the former Toronto Township in 1968. Port Credit maintained its independence until the City of Mississauga was incorporated in 1974.
Mississauga Port Credit Real Estate
Clarkson | Cooksville | Lorne Park | Meadowvale | Meadowvale Village | Port Credit | Streetsville